Monday, August 15, 2005

Thoughts on being in your 30s

Having just turned 36 yesterday and having something of a whirlwind weekend, I figured it was time to bring everyone up to speed again on what's going on around here.

We finally started work on my office last week. We were waiting to get the CO from the city inspectors, but we couldn't wait anymore (plus even though we didn't get the CO on inspection we don't have to worry about the inspector coming back...he told us what we needed to fix and said we could bring photos to him...of course, the old contractor has had a month so far to try and fix the problem and get us the CO and has yet to even bother...and he still has a few other minor things to finish...I think it's time to call a lawyer).

But back to my office...we've turned the storage area that exists between our garage and finished basement into a mud room and office. The new contractor working on it will have the whole thing done (at least all the parts he's doing) by the end of this week (there may be some minor hold ups by our HVAC guy, but this contractor's on the ball and the best part is he doesn't ask for money until the job's done ). It looks great so far and the only thing I'm worried about is that moving our garage door tracks up 7 inches out of my headspace when I come out the new door into the garage isn't going to be enough.

As for the rest of the house, well...the old contractor's got some minor things to finish and the new contractor's got a few other things as well...the last thing he's scheduled to do is paint the house, so everything else should be wrapped up before then...I expect everything to be done by the end of October the latest as there's nothing major the new guy's doing besides the office and re-enforcing out back deck.

As for Mac...he's getting bigger every day...and cuter as well. He's still in what we're referring to as "gremlin" stage...he makes plenty of bizarre sounds and we're learning which ones go with which activity (5 minutes of ritualistic grunting usually results in a very messy diaper). We've been testing to see how what Natasha eats affects him (yes...spinach dip does result in green poop). He already has some outfits that no longer fit him. He's pretty strong in both legs and arms...while he may not have much control over them it hurts if you're in his path of flailing.

I threw a surprise party for Tash's 30th Birthday with some major help from our friends John & Elyssa. I'm proud of the fact that not only was she completely surprised by the party, but I also got her to bake a cake for her own party and clean up all the dirty dishes as well (planning the party for the day between our birthdays was the stroke of genius...when she asked me what I wanted for my birthday the next day I just said "to not have to clean the kitchen"...yes I'm evil).

So...here I am...36 years old...with a wife, a child, a house that's near completion but still being worked on, an upcoming new business venture (more on that some other time when I'm ready to talk about it) and a few projects in various stages. After all I've been through in the course of my life, I don't think I've ever been happier.

Be seeing you

No comments: