Saturday, December 10, 2005

Playing Catch Up Before Vacation

Hey folks,

We're leaving for California in a few days for a holiday vacation...so I figured I'd take the opportunity to clean out my files and get ready to start the New Year fresh when we get back.

I was hoping to review Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in tandem with a review of the latest book. Unfortunately, I need to go back and read book 5 before reading book 6 and our copy is still in Napa where we left it the year it came out. So I'll get that while we're away and then read book 6 when we get back...

In the meantime, the 4th film, Goblet of Fire, raises the stakes in the series to a nice level. While I still think the third film is the best in the series so far (as I still think the third book is the best in the series so far), this film does a good job at adapting all the necessary bits of this very weighty tome.

Streamlined, the story focuses on the Tri-Wizard Tornament in which Harry unwittingly becomes a contestant. He must brave three potentially deadly tasks alongside four other students (two of which come from other Wizarding schools). Meanwhile, brewing in the background is the potential return of Lord Voldemort.

The story zips along at a good pace now that all the fluff that movie goers won't care about has been excised (like Hermione and the freeing of the house elves) and the tension of the tornament helps move it all along with a sense of ugency. The acting remains top notch on all levels and the emotional depth of the outcome of the tournament hits home like a dagger because of it. The look of the film remains as amazing as the last one (which was better than the first two as it seems they were still working out the kinks in the CGI).

While I've forgotten a lot of what happens in book 5, movie 4 has gotten me in the mood to read it all again...

Over in potential Oscar country...David Cronenberg's A History of Violence may be the director's best effort yet...Well...not really...but it's definitely his best shot at winning accolades he's been looked over for before.

Based on a graphic novel, Viggo Mortensen stars as a small town family man who winds up on the evening news after he defends himself and some patrons at his diner from a couple of murderous thugs. The news coverage brings some shady mob goons to town as they are convinced that Tom (Mortensen) is actually a long lost "friend" they need to bring back into the fold. As the mystery of who these goons are unfolds, so does the mystery of Tom's past. To tell you whether Tom is hiding a secret or these men are mistaken would ruin a great film.

Cronenberg knows how to keep an audience on the edge of its seat and this film, while more of a slow boil than some of his other films, doesn't disappoint. Perfectly cast in every way (look for potential Oscar nominations for Mortensen, Maria Bello, Ed Harris and William Hurt) and expertly directed A History of Violence does not disappoint.

I never had to read any Jane Austin in any classes I ever took...but aparently it's a prerequisit if you have a vagina (am I gonna get a lot of flack for that comment or what??)...my wife is a BIG fan of hers...specifically Pride & Prejudice. She's also a BIG fan of Colin Firth (she'd pick him over me if given the chance), so naturally she's a HUGE fan of the BBC version of Pride. It was on her enthusiasm for the story that I somewhat reluctantly went to see the new big screen version not starring Colin Firth.

I was pleasantly surprised by the film. This humorous and tender love story about a woman with a crazy family who slowly (and almost reluctantly) falls in love with a handsome but cold man actually kept me interested for it's full length...at least until it was over and my wife pointed out all the film's faults when compared to both the original novel and the BBC miniseries...which we had to promptly start watching as soon as we got home...

So, while I've now become enamoured of the BBC version (well made, well acted), I've discovered that the film I thought I liked I actually hated immensely.

So...that's all for today in movie reviews...I'll be back once more before we leave with a TV roundup...my massive comic book catch up issue will wait until we're back and my annual Top 25/Worst 5 list will probably not see publication until February at the earliest (as I don't know I've seen enough films to fill out either list just yet)...

Be seeing you

No comments: