Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Hippo Birdie 2 Me

So yesterday was my 37th birthday.

Yawn.

I haven't felt so blah about turning a year older in quite some time. What is 37 anyway? I'm that much closer to 40 (I can remember a time when 40 seemed so far away). I've lived longer than my father did (try wrapping your brain around that one...you should be able to say that when you hit 70, not this young). I've survived an aneurysm (again...you should be able to say this much later in life). I've gotten married and had a kid all in the last 5 years (since the aneurysm). And life is pretty good.

And yet, yesterday was just kind of blah.

Don't get me wrong...I had a great day. My wife changed all of the dirty diapers (as I did for her on her birthday recently). She let me sleep late. She was even willing to take the boy out for the day so I could spend it alone doing whatever. But my plans were just to go to Borders (I had a few gift cards that needed using), so I wanted them to come with me (maybe they'd help me use up the gift cards).

I've had my eye on a few things for a while...and I'm realizing that my tastes and desires are changing a bit. When I was younger, I had read most of the Sherlock Holmes stories...but I don't own a copy of the complete works. A few years ago, I noticed an "annotated" hardcover collection that I thought would be fun to own. I've had it sitting in my Amazon.com basket for a while, just kind of waiting until the right time. I thought maybe with the gift cards, the right time was now.

I picked it up. Examined it carefully. And put it back down. I then found a copy of the complete works that was a bit more compact and now as expensive. I picked that up. Examined it. And put it back down.

I have the Jeremy Brett TV versions on DVD and I have the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce movies as well. I haven't read these stories since G-d knows when. Why do I need to own either version? I don't. Is it something I want to share with my son when he's older? Maybe, but we'll burn that bridge if we have to cross it.

I've accumulated a lot of crap over the years. Some of it I still cherish, some I look at and go "why?". Since getting married, my priorities have changed (even moreso since Malcolm arrived). We've been slowly going through all the movies, toys and books and trying to figure out what's worth keeping and what's just going out the door (and onto eBay or getting donated). And I've discovered that what makes us feel good when we're younger, doesn't necessarily still do that when we get older.

So what did I walk out of Borders with:

A few computer magazines
The Jewish Book of Why
If You Can't Say Anything Nice, Say It In Yiddish
The Whole Equation: A History of Hollywood
The Illustrated History of Magic
Toddler 411 (for my wife and I)
Debunking History
Conservatives Without Conscience
The Official Movie Guides for both Superman Returns and Batman Begins (there is still something of a kid in this 37 year old)
A Plush Snuffleupagus (for my son to go with his plush Big Bird)

An interesting grouping, no?

Well...I've got some reading to do. I'll be back in a few days with the usual crap.

Be seeing you.

No comments: