Tuesday, May 15, 2007

ABC 2006-2007 Review/2007-2008 Preview

Today is ABC's day to unveil their new fall slate. And they truly run the gamut between a show I'm really excited to see and a show that I believe epitomizes EVERYTHING that is wrong with Network TV, media empires and life in general (to the point where I briefly considered removing ABC from my viewing habits entirely...but there are too many shows on that I enjoy watching and would miss). That being said...here we go...

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Daybreak -- 1 Season/13 Episodes (7 Unaired) -- The show seemed too familiar for its own good and was better when Eliza Dushku played the part in Tru Calling.

The Great American Dream Vote -- 1 Season/5 Episodes (3 Unaired) -- Missed this one. Apparently so did everyone else.

In Case Of Emergency -- 1 Season/13 Episodes (1 Unaired) -- I saw a good chunk of this show. It was harmless fun. Why they never aired the last episode is beyond me (its like dropping out of college just before you're ready to graduate when you're short one class). My DVR 's hard drive went this spring and took the remaining episodes I hadn't seen with it. Oh well.

Six Degrees -- 1 Season/11 Episodes (5 Unaired) -- Never saw it, never will.

According To Jim -- 6 Seasons/145 Episodes -- We hardly knew ya.

Big Day -- 1 Season/13 Episodes/2 Unaired -- This sitcom was actually pretty funny. Centering around the hours leading up to a wedding, the cast of quirky characters is what made this work so well. ABC ended the show with two episodes unaired, but where they ended it seemed to give the show a sense of closure anyway. Maybe a DVD release will happen? And maybe monkey's will fly outta my butt.

The George Lopez Show -- 6 Seasons/120 Episodes -- Was this show really on that long??

Help Me Help You -- 1 Season/13 Episodes/4 Unaired -- Another quirky sitcom that failed to find an audience. Add it to the pile.

The Knights of Prosperity -- 1 Season/13 Episodes/4 Unaired -- This show deserved better. Quirky, hip and a lot of fun. Let's hope for a DVD release.

The Nine -- 1 Season/13 Episodes/6 Unaired -- Wanted to watch this. Still haven't. I have all the episodes aired on my laptop (got them off my Tivo before it self destructed back in February). Maybe someday I'll sit down and go through them.

What About Brian -- 2 Seasons/24 Episodes -- Never saw it.

Supernanny -- 3 Seasons/42 Episodes -- Between this and Nanny 911 I guess they fixed all the bratty kids in the world.

Traveller -- 1 Season/8 Episodes -- OK...the show has barely aired, but I don't expect the next 7 episodes to be such a ratings winner that ABC changes their mind. If they believed in this show it would have premiered back in September like originally intended. Interesting premise...I'll give a full review when the show's run is over.

MONDAYS
8pm Dancing With The Stars -- Returns for a fifth season
9:30 Sam I Am -- Christina Applegate stars in what is essentially a sitcom version of the movie Regarding Henry. You remember that Harrison Ford film where he gets shot in the head, can't remember who he is and has to relearn everything only to find out he wasn't a nice guy...this'll be a winner.
10pm The Bachelor -- This returns for an 11th go?? Yikes!

TUESDAYS
8pm Cavemen -- A sitcom based on the Geico Insurance commercials? I will personally shoot anyone I know who even bothers to try watching this.
8:30 Carpoolers -- Its about people who carpool to work. Meh. Jerry O'Connell & Faith Ford is what gets this show a one episode review.
9pm Dancing With The Stars -- This is the results show.
10pm Boston Legal -- Returns for a 4th season of wacky lawyer & fourth wall breaking hijinks. I've got a song in my head knowing this show's coming back...anyone wanna hear it???

WEDNESDAYS
8pm Pushing Daisies -- From Bryan Fuller (Heroes) and Barry Sonnenfeld (Men In Black) comes this new fantasy show about a guy who can reanimate dead matter -- even people. Stars Lee Pace, Anna Friel, Chi McBride, Swoosie Kurtz, Kristin Chenowith and is narrated by Jim Dale. Very much excited about this show.
9pm Private Practice -- The spin off from Gray's Anatomy. I don't watch that show, why would I watch this show? It's got an interesting cast...maybe a one episode try.
10pm Dirty Sexy Money -- Donald Sutherland and Peter Kraus star in this soap opera about a lawyer working for a rich family he finds evil. Blah.

THURSDAYS
8pm Ugly Betty -- Back for a second season of devil wearing prada fun.
9pm Gray's Anatomy -- Returns for a 4th Season.
10pm Big Shots -- Michael Vartan, Dylan McDermott and Christopher Titus star in this drama about a group of successful men and their inter-relations. The cast gets me watching for an episode. The concept needs to be stronger to keep me watching.

FRIDAYS
8pm Men In Trees -- Returns for a 2nd Season.
9pm Women's Murder Club -- based on a series of James Patterson novels...what no nursery rhymes? Its every currently running crime show wrapped in one. Blah.
10pm 20/20 -- I got nothing. Its back for a 4000th season.

SATURDAYS
8pm Saturday Night College Football

SUNDAYS
7pm America's Funniest Home Videos -- back once again for more guys taking shots to the nads.
8pm Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
9pm Desperate Housewives -- Season four had better bring this show back to what made it so entertaining. Although I still watch, I barely remember what that was now.
10pm Brothers & Sisters -- I hear its a good show, but I don't watch it. Back for a second season.

MONDAYS (Mid-Season)
8pm Wife Swap -- Why???
9:30 Sam I Am -- See the Mondays listing above
9:30 Notes From The Underbelly -- Back for a 2nd season. Haven't seen it.
10pm October Road -- Back for a 2nd Season. Haven't seen it.

TUESDAYS (Mid-Season)
8pm Cavemen
8:30 Carpoolers
9pm Cashmere Mafia -- Its Darren Starr's version of Candace Bushnell's Lipstick Jungle, just substitute Lucy Liu for Brooke Shields and get rid of Bushnell.
10pm Boston Legal

MIDSEASON
Miss/Guided -- The funny Judy Greer stars as a high school guidance counselor who now works at her alma mater and discovers that not much has changed...even her old popular nemesis is still around. I may watch because I think Greer is talented, but the premise is a bit flimsy.

Eli Stone -- Johnny Lee Miller stars as a lawyer who has halucinations. Its his supporting cast of Victor Garber, Natasha Henstridge and Loretta Devine that will get me to even sample the show.

Lost -- Returns for a shorter 4th season of 16 episodes (instead of 24). This season got off on such a wrong foot that I almost gave up on it. Luckily, it turned itself around even though it started getting a bit predicatble, at least it was moving forward again.

Oprah's Big Give -- Oprah gives away money. Where do I get mine?

Primetime -- The news magazine returns.

That's all for today. Tomorrow is CBS day.

Be seeing you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came to read reviews about shows not random gibberish. If you don't have time to watch them all don't write reviews for them!!!