Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Playing Catch Up Yet Again: It's My New Mantra

My wife and I used to have a Netflix membership that we enjoyed, but eventually there came a time where we were sitting on the movies for far too long before watching them. This would happen for a variety of reasons, so we eventually cancelled our membership. These days if we have the time to watch something, we hit our cable's pay-per-view...its just easier. So we've been able to catch up on a few things we missed here and there (especially this summer as there's little on TV). So here are some reviews of films we caught there as well as something currently in theaters and a TV review or two.

The Bucket List -- Didn't realize this was directed by Rob Reiner, but this funny and heart-warming story about two men diagnosed with terminal cancer is worth a watch. Jack Nicholson continues to play Jack Nicholson perfectly and Morgan Freeman does an amazing job as the other guy. The end brought a few tears to my eyes.

Wall*E -- Has Pixar made a bad movie yet? Sure, some are better than others, but there has yet to be a dud in the bunch. This film continues the streak. Very funny, touching and heart-warming (that's the second time I've used that word in this one -- maybe its the hormones from my wife talking).

The Jane Austin Book Club -- My wife is a HUGE Jane Austin fan. Up until I met Tash, I didn't know much about her. This film is about a group of women (and one guy) who meet monthly to discuss each of the novels (one a month). But its about more than that as each woman can relate their lives to each of the novels. The film got me to think about reading a piece of "literature" again, so it can't be all bad.

I Survived A Japanese Game Show -- Yes, the summer doldrums have hit TV and I'm watching crap like this. Its got a bit more meat than watching guys get hit in the balls on America's Funniest Home Video at least.

Wipeout -- Okay...so this show is just an hour of guys getting hit in the balls (well...an obstacle course equivalent as people fall off things or get knocked off things). It makes me laugh to see other in such pain these days. I know...I'm sick.

Doctor Who Season 4 -- With one or two episode exceptions, this may be the best season yet. At first I thought bringing back Donna Noble (Catherine Tate) from the 2006 Christmas Special "The Runaway Bride" as a permanent companion was going to be bad. In that episode she was little more than a shrew and comic relief. She starts out that way in the first episode of Season 4, but by the time we get towards the end she's become my favorite companion. The two part season finale really closes the door on everything that's happened in the previous four seasons (whether you wanted it to or not). And while we get a who's who of the Doctor's friends, the outcome of the longest running threads involving Rose Tyler don't mean much. Its Donna's fate that will have you screaming at the TV (she doesn't die, but she may as well have). The season ends with the Doctor alone again -- really and truly alone. Which puts him in a great place for the series of 5 specials between Christmas 2008 and Christmas 2009 before we get a full and proper Season 5 in 2010.

That's it for today. Next time: Hellboy.

Be seeing you.

No comments: