Monday, February 28, 2005

Oscar the Grouch

I suppose this is the first time in many years that I really didn't care that much about the Oscars to even bother commenting on them. Here's my views, now that they're over:

Chris Rock was funny as host. Probably pissed a few people off along the way (was it just me or did Halle Berry look a bit miffed at the Catwoman 2 comment).

The show felt long, but didn't actually run long.

The awards given from the aisles were actually pretty well handled.

Jeremy Irons is a comic genius.

Paul Giamatti was robbed of even being nominated.

Martin Scorsese will never win.

That's pretty much it.

I did have a chance to see Constantine last week and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not exactly a perfect adaptation of the comic book "John Constantine, Hellblazer" but I thought it worked pretty well. Keanu Reeves does a decent job in the title role (and I'm not gonna bitch and moan about how the character's supposed to be British and look like Sting...the captured the essence of the personality well enough). The film feels a bit long but is pretty fun. All in all it's probably on par with other "second string" comic book movies like Hulk and Daredevil. Maybe I'll do a more in depth review at a later date.

Not much else for today. I'm still working on a number of things in regards to getting my backlog of Fugues into this blog (it's gonna be slow going) as well as sprucing up the web site (even slower going). But I do hope to have some photos of the house renovation up within the next two weeks.

On that front right now we're in a race to see if what we've termed as "Phase One" (everything that was started before we knew about the pregnancy) will be finished before we have to start "Phase Two" (which is prepping the house for the baby...moving my office into the storage area and turning the current office into the baby's room). It means the current contractor will have to be finished by the end of March. I'm currently betting against him.

Anyway...I've been up to my eyeballs in sound design for a wonderful production of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest over at Curtain call as well as doing some administrative stuff for The Darien Players production of Biography...so it may be a week before there's anything subtsantial from me again.

Be seeing you.

No comments: