Wednesday, May 18, 2005

CBS: Forwards...

Okay...now I don't think I've even bothered dealing with CBS' new fall schedule for the last few years because I've pretty much had a boycott in place (I'm not going to rehash why here).

This year I'm actually going to comment on a few of the new shows as I may decide to finally and officially break the boycott...but I still have a few months to make that decision. I know it'll make my wife happy (she's tired of my "freaking out" every time the cable box has to be turned back on and we need to quickly flip from channel 2).

It has been five years since I've watched a CBS show...so I can't comment on shows that are not returning this upcoming season.

I also feel I can't really comment on shows that are returning this upcoming season...beyond the "CSI" franchise which I have been watching on DVD as they come out...though I haven't seen the New York version yet.

With all that in mind...here's a look at their new shows:

How I Met Your Mother -- This sitcom stars Neil Patrick Harris, Alyson Hannigan, Josh Radnor and Jason Segel with Bob Saget doing a voice over from the future (the whole show is a flashback...like "Jack & Bobby" I suppose). It's young people in love...but the cast may make it worthwhile.

Out of Practice -- From the creators of "Frasier" comes this comedy about a family of doctors starring Henry Winkler, Stockard Channing, Paula Marshall, Christopher Gorham and Ty Burell. Could also be worthwhile.

Close To Home -- Jerry Bruckheimer brings us another legal drama. Yawn.

Criminal Minds -- Here's the reason I'd break the boycott. Mandy Patinkin's back on TV in this show about an elite FBI team that tracks serial killers. It also stars Thomas Gibson (he was Greg of "Dharma & Greg" fame).

Ghost Whisperer -- Whenever one network has a success with a show, the others will eventually try and copy it. So here's CBS' version of "Medium" starring Jennifer Love Hewitt. This would not be a reason to end my boycott (and is a good reason to keep it in place).

Threshold -- This sci-fi show is from the combined minds of people involved in "Star Trek" (the good ones), "Blade" and "Harry Potter". It boasts a cast that includes Carla Gugino, Charles S. Dutton and Brent Spiner. It's about a team that discovers a UFO in the ocean and tries to unlock its secrets. Sounds interesting...If I do break the boycott, this is on my list of things to try out.

And the mid-season replacements are:

The Unit -- The last show I watched on CBS also starred Dennis Haysbert. This one not only has him, but it also includes Robert Patrick, Soctt Foley and Amy Acker and has David Mamet as an executive producer. The description's a bit lacking (a special ops force that travels the world doing covert work), but the cast and creative team makes this a must see (or at least an "I'll give it a shot if I break the boycott").

Everything I Know About Men -- Jenna Elfman stars in a sitcom. Yawn.

And the full CBS schedule is:

Mondays 8pm King of Queens
8:30 How I Met Your Mother
9pm Two and a Half Men
9:30 Out of Practice
10pm CSI: Miami

Tuesdays
8pm NCIS
9pm The Amazing Race
10pm Close To Home

Wednesdays
8pm Still Standing
8:30 Yes Dear
9pm Criminal Minds
10pm CSI: New York

Thursdays
8pm Survivor
9pm CSI
10pm Without A Trace

Fridays
8pm Ghost Whisperer
9pm Threshold
10pm Numbers

Saturdays
8pm Saturday Crime Time
10pm 48 Hours Mystery

Sundays
7pm 60 MInutes
8pm Cold Case
9pm Movie

Tomorrow we're back with FOX and a bit about UPN (assuming they have anything worthwhile beyond "Veronica Mars" and that top secret "Star Trek" project).

Be seeing you.

No comments: