Tuesday, May 19, 2009

2009-2010 Upfronts Part 3: NBC

Yesterday NBC also announced their new fall schedule. I'm tackling my thoughts today.

MONDAY
8pm Heroes (September) -- I stopped watching mid-way through this past season. Not sure if I'm going to continue with a 4th season...we'll see if I catch up with the episodes during the summer. This show really went off the track.

8pm Chuck (January) -- Glad this got a renewal. Even if its only 13 episodes and will be subsidized by Subway (meaning I expect Sarah to no longer be working at the Frogurt place -- assuming she doesn't get axed because of budget cuts on the show -- but I assume we'll lose all the Buy More characters before that happens).

9pm Trauma (September) -- Sounds like "ER" without the budget or baggage. Blah.

9pm Day One (January) -- Sounds like CBS' late lamented "Jericho" with more destruction and rebuilding. Maybe I'll give it an episode.

10pm The Jay Leno Show -- This is either going to be smartest thing NBC has done in years or the dumbest. Either way, it's gonna cost them less than what a scripted show would.

TUESDAY
8pm The Biggest Loser (two-hour edition in September/90 minute edition in January) -- I really should try to get on this show next time they have auditions.

9:30 100 Questions (January) -- This sitcom focuses on a woman who joins a dating service and each question in their questionnaire will serve as a look back on where she's been in romance before. At least that's what I got from the description. Yawn.

10pm The Jay Leno Show

WEDNESDAY
8pm Parenthood (September) -- Based on the hit movie of 20 years ago, this already spawned a failed TV series. This reimagining (they're no longer the Buckmans, they're the Bravermans) has nothing going for it beyond an interesting cast that doesn't interest me enough to watch (Craig T. Nelson, Maura Tierney, Bonnie Bedlia).

8pm Mercy (January) -- So NBC needs two medical shows to replace "ER"? Yawn.

9pm Law & Order: Special Victims Unit -- Its the one I don't watch, but its still kicking around for an 11th Season.

10pm The Jay Leno Show

THURSDAY
8pm SNL Weekend Update Thursday (multi-episode run in September) -- Nice to know they're ready for Prime Time after all these years.

8pm Community (January) -- Joel McHale and Chevy Chase star in this sitcom about a Community College. McHale gets me watching. Chase makes me a bit leery, but after his wonderful turn on "Chuck" as an evil Bill Gates he may do well here.

8:30 Parks and Recreation -- Didn't watch it. Returns for a 2nd Season.


9pm The Office -- Returns for a 6th Season and I still don't watch because I thought the British version was better.

9:30 Community (September)

9:30 30 Rock (January) -- Funniest sitcom around returns for a 4th Season. YAY!!!!

10pm The Jay Leno Show

FRIDAY
8pm Law & Order -- Its the Energizer Bunny of TV shows. 20 Seasons and it keeps going and going and going and going...

9pm Southland -- Returns for a 2nd Season. Don't watch, don't care.

10pm The Jay Leno Show

SATURDAY
8pm Dateline NBC -- Yay! More news shows. (Sarcasm)

9pm Trauma (encore broadcast September)

9pm Southland (encore broadcast January)

10pm Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (encore broadcast)

SUNDAY (September)
7pm Football Night in America

8:20 NBC Sunday Night Football

SUNDAY (January)

7pm Dateline NBC
8pm The Marriage Ref -- Sure the title sounds like a bad sitcom, but its actually a show that mixes "The View" and "Real Time With Bill Mahr" with "Oprah" and "Seinfeld" (since Jerry's the producer of this). Could be interesting.
9pm The Celebrity Apprentice (season premiere; two-hour edition) -- While its the funniest train wreck on TV, two hours is WAY TOO MUCH (and don't get me started on the THREE HOUR Season Finale this year).

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

My Name Is Earl -- 4 Seasons/96 Episodes -- I stopped watching after Season 3. The show just got boring by that point.

Medium -- 5 Seasons/95 Episodes -- The show kind of petered out for me during Season 3. I figured I'd eventually catch up, but that hasn't happened. I do like Glenn Gordon Carron's shows and may eventually come back to it -- epspecially since its now moving to CBS on Friday nights. Let's see what that brings (more tomorrow).

Howie Do It -- 1 Season/21 Episodes -- Howie Mandel does his own "Candid Camera"/prank show. Didn't realize it even lasted as long as it did.

Deal Or No Deal -- 4 Seasons/203 Episodes -- Don't worry. Only the Prime Time version is going away. You can still catch the goofiness in daytime syndication.

America's Toughest Jobs -- 1 Season/9 Episodes -- I'd say one of the toughest jobs was keeping this show on the air, but there are shows that didn't even last this long.

Chopping Block -- 1 Season/3 Episodes -- Too many Chef-based Reality Shows spoil "The Soup".

Crusoe -- 1 Season/13 Episodes -- Had he been time travelling on his island, he may have lasted longer.

Kath & Kim -- 1 Season/17 Episodes -- Just proves my point that Molly Shannon isn't funny.

Kings -- 1 Season/12 Episodes (7 Unaired) -- Saw the one episode my friend was in as an extra. The rest are waiting to be watched on my DVR (along with many other shows including the last 4 episodes of "Raines" -- which will tell you how long I sometimes keep things on my DVR).

Knight Rider -- 1 Season/17 Episodes -- I was never a big fan of the original version. Now I can never get a chance to not become one of this version either.

Life -- 2 Seasons/32 Episodes -- They should have picked a better title or a better board game to be based on (like "Clue" or "Monopoly" or even "Sorry").

Lipstick Jungle -- 2 Seasons/20 Episodes -- Apparently only "Sex in the City" can be "Sex in the City".

Momma's Boys -- 1 Season/6 Episodes -- Looked like it could have been a fun train wreck, but I was busy doing other stuff.Bold

My Own Worst Enemy -- 1 Season/9 Episodes -- Meant to watch this show -- and I still can as its one of the few cancelled shows turning up on DVD.

Superstars of Dance -- 1 Season/5 Episodes -- Apparently they weren't that super.

ER -- 15 Seasons/331 Episodes -- 15 years ago I made my choice and went with "Chicago Hope" as MY medical drama. Never regretted it, haven't looked back, haven't peeked in. Was this show any good?


Back tomorrow with CBS (should be short as they haven't really recovered on my schedule from my boycott years ago).


Be seeing you.

No comments: