Thursday, May 21, 2009

2009-2010 Upfronts Part 5: The CW

And finaly we have the upfronts for The WB...I mean UPN...I mean The CW (which has pruned most of the UPN type shows now and is mostly emulating The WB's teenage bent). I don't watch much on this network, so I don't have much to say beyond reporting what the new lineup is. You may notice there are no half hour sitcoms.

MONDAY

8pm GOSSIP GIRL-- Returns for a 3rd Season

9pm ONE TREE HILL -- Returns for a 7th Season.

TUESDAY

8pm 90210 -- Returns for a 2nd Season.

9pm MELROSE PLACE -- I guess since 90210 has been a success the return of that show's spin-off was inevitable.

WEDNESDAY

8pm AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL -- Returns for a 13th Season? Really? And a 14th? Yikes!

9pm THE BEAUTIFUL LIFE -- Its about models and stars Micha Barton. Do you need to know more? Is there more?

THURSDAY

8pm THE VAMPIRE DIARIES -- Cashing in on the whole "Twlight"/"True Blood" machine seemed inevitable. Two vampire brothers (one good, one evil) battle for one girl. Meh.

9pm SUPERNATURAL-- Returns for a 5th Season. Suppsedly a good show, but I've never watched more than 5 minutes.

FRIDAY

8pm SMALLVILLE -- Returns for a 9th Season. This is apparently the "Coach" of Comic Book Shows. Yes, we still watch...but half the time I'm not sure why. Story logic goes out the window (and that's saying a lot for a Comic Book based show). The cast is still doing an admirable job considering the material half the time. The best episodes are the ones that feature other DC Comics characters. I hope that this will be the last season (and a move to Friday night seems to suggest that, but this is The CW and not one of the other networks so all bets are off), but Tom Welling is apparently signed to a 10th Season as well. I say, let Season 9 go to 26 episodes. That would make 200 episodes total. Then put Superman back where he belongs: on the big screen.

9pm AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL (Encore) -- We need more of this?

MIDSEASON

Parental Discreation Advised -- A girl who has lived with foster families all her life finally finds her real parents and tries to make them a family.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

Easy Money -- 1 Season/8 Episodes/4 Unaired

In Harm's Way -- 1 Season/10 Episodes/5 Unaired

Valentine -- 1 Season/8 Episodes./4 Unaired

The Game -- 3 Seasons/64 Episodes

Everybody Hates Chris -- 4 Seasons/88 Episodes

Reaper -- 2 Seasons/31 Episodes -- The first season of this show was a lot of fun. Most of that was due to Ray Wise as Satan. The second season was missing something, but it was still mostly fun. The series finale is next week and I hope it wraps up as much as it can...but I'm sure it won't. If you didn't see this, I do recommend catching it on DVD as both seasons will be available soon after the show's run ends.

That's all for the major networks. I'll be back tomorrow or Saturday with a wrap-up of what I'll be watching.

Be seeing you.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Gone But Not Forgotten"?

Half of those shows are more "Gone, And Who The Hell Ever Heard Of Them?"

Reaper? Sure. Chris Rock? Sure. Even "The Game" I had heard of because I first thought it was a TV version of the Michael Douglas movie before wising up. But the other 3? Never heard of 'em until just now.

I take it "Easy Money" had nothing to do with Rodney Dangerfield?

:checks IMDb:

Yep, it didn't.